The Rhodes Arboretum originated in the early 1950’s under the supervision of Dr. Arlo Smith, longtime Professor of Biology with support from the Lumberman's Club of Memphis and private donations. The Arboretum was last certified in 1995, and since then efforts have been made to keep the campus rich in tree diversity in the face of inclement weather and campus growth. Currently 90 species have been tagged for a Level 3 Arboretum. A number of Rhodes faculty, staff and students have been involved in the effort to conserve and increase trees species on campus. In particular, the Physical Plant staff has been instrumental in achieving this designation.
© All rights reserved. The accompanying digital objects and associated documentation are provided for online research and access purposes. Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute and present this digital object and the accompanying documentation, without fee, and without written agreement, is hereby granted for educational, non-commercial purposes only. The Rhodes College Archives and Special Collections reserves the right to decide what constitutes educational and commercial use. In all instances of use, acknowledgement must be given to Rhodes College Archives Digital Repository, Memphis, TN. For information regarding permission to use this image, please email the Archives at email@example.com.
|Dec-2012||Aboretum Newsletter, Winter 2012-2013||-|