Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/10267/136

Title: Union Station, Memphis, Tenneesee, about 1920
Keywords: Memphis (Tenn.);Municipal buildings;Train stations;Flags;Postcards
Issue Date: 1940
Publisher: Memphis, Tenn. :
Abstract: This is a color postcard of Memphis Union Station which was a jointly owned passenger terminal serving the Missouri Pacific Railroad, St. Louis Southwestern Railway, Louisville and Nashville Railroad, Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis Railway and Southern Railway. The station was located on Calhoun Street, between south Second Street and Rayburn Boulevard (now south Third Street). This location in south Memphis was approximately two blocks east of the other major Memphis railroad terminal, Memphis Grand Central Station. Construction of the facility began in April 1910 and the new station opened for service on April 1, 1912. The architectural design of the station was a source of pride for Memphis, and the main building was the largest stone structure in Memphis. The station closed for a final time on March 30, 1968, following the departure of the last Southern Railway passenger train from Memphis
Description: 3x5 color postcard, printed by Bluff City News Company, Memphis, Tennessee. Genuine Curteich- Chicago, "C T Art-Colortone"; divided back
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10267/136
Appears in Collections:Rhodes College Postcard Collection

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
Postcard_Memphis_TN_Union Station_001.jpgunion_station_memphis_001.jpg1.41 MBJPEGThumbnail
View/Open
Postcard_Memphis_TN_Union Station_001.tifunion_station_memphis_001.tif22.61 MBTIFFView/Open


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.