The Gayoso House was built in 1842 by Colonel Robertson Topp, and it was later enlarged and embellished in 1857 to become one of the finest hotels in the Mid-South. It was leased to several people before the year 1857. Colonel Topp leased it to a David Cockrell with whom he seems to have had a great deal of trouble. These papers dealing with the Gayoso House contain bills, notes, receipts, specifications, working contracts, correspondence about contracts, papers about law suits, stockholder's papers, architects' agreements, estimates, etc., for the years 1841-1870.
© All rights reserved. The accompanying digital objects and associated documentation are provided for online research and access purposes. Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute and present this digital object and the accompanying documentation, without fee, and without written agreement, is hereby granted for educational, non-commercial purposes only. The Rhodes College Archives and Special Collections reserves the right to decide what constitutes educational and commercial use. In all instances of use, acknowledgement must be given to Rhodes College Archives Digital Repository, Memphis, TN. For information regarding permission to use this image, please email the Archives at email@example.com.